Monday, May 2, 2016

"DARK SHADOWS" (2012) Review




"DARK SHADOWS" (2012) Review

I have never been a die hard fan of director Tim Burton. Honestly. In fact, I can only think of one or two of his movies that really impressed me. Okay, I can think of four . . . including his 2012 opus, "DARK SHADOWS"

At least three Burton films have really impressed me in recent years.  Two of them were his 2007 Oscar-nominated film, "SWEENEY TODD" and his 2014 biopic, "BIG EYES". I did not love either film.  And I have no desire to see either of them again. But they did impress me. The third Burton film that managed to impress me was his big screen adaptation of the 1966-71 ABC television series, "DARK SHADOWS".  I had originally reacted with mild interest when I first heard about.  I have never seen the old television series. And to be honest, I have no real desire to watch it. It was the humor featured in the trailer for Burton's 2012 film that led me to go see it.

"DARK SHADOWS" told the story of Barnabas Collins, the 18th century scion of a wealthy Colonial family, who is transformed into a vampire by a scorned lover named Angelique Bouchard, who also happened to be a Collins family servant and a witch. After transforming him into a vampire, Angelique led a lynch mob that captures Barnabas and buries him alive in a chained coffin in the woods. Two hundred years later in 1972, a group of construction workers accidentally free Barnabas, before he feeds on them. He later makes his way back to the Collins manor and finds it inhabited by his mid 20th century descendants; family matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, her 15 year-old daughter Carolyn Stoddard, Elizabeth's brother Roger Collins, his 10 year-old son David; and their servants who are caretaker Willie Loomis and David's governess, Victoria Winters, who is a reincarnation of Barnabas' lost love, Josette du Pres. One last occupant is David's live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman.

Barnabas convinces Elizabeth of his identity when he reveals a secret room behind the fireplace. The room contains a vast treasure that can help the Collins family restore the family business. However, Elizabeth makes him promise to never reveal his identity as a vampire to the rest of the family. All seemed to be well for the Collins family, until Angelique, who has used magic to extend her life, discovers that Barnabas has been released from his coffin. Angelique has also used her own fishery business to bankrupt the family. Upset that Barnabas has returned, Angelique tries to win back his affections through sex. However, Barnabas makes it clear that he does not love her. And Angelique goes out of her way to ensure the destruction of Barnabas and his immediate family.

"DARK SHADOWS" is not perfect. I am quite aware that it is not ensemble piece, despite the likes of Michelle Pfieffer and Helena Bonham-Carter in the cast. I also realize that is basically about Barnabas Collins. But I do believe that two or three supporting characters were barely used in the story. And those characters proved to be young David Collins, Dr. Julia Hoffman (portrayed by the marvelous Helena Bonham-Carter) and Roger Collins, portrayed by the woefully underused Jonny Lee Miller. And I wish the movie had explained how Angelique managed to survive and not age for two centuries. From what I had read, this was never explained in the television version either. I also found the revelation of Carolyn Stoddard as a werewolf near the end of the movie, very contrived. Either screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith had failed to hint this revelation or I simply failed to notice any his hint(s). And I also found the movie's pacing slightly uneven three-quarters into the story. I suspect that Burton and his screenwriter, Seth Grahame-Smith, were in such a hurry to get rid of Roger Collins and Dr. Hoffman that the pacing somewhat became off-kilter. 

But despite its flaws, I still managed to enjoy "DARK SHADOWS" very much. First of all, I was dazzled by Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography. He gave it a rich, blue-tinted look that really contributed to the film's setting and tale. This was especially apparent in the prologue that introduced the Collins family's American origins and Barnabas Collins. Delbonnel's photography also enhanced Rick Heinrichs' production designs. Heinrichs did a beautiful job in re-creating both the mid and late-18th century Maine, along with the same location in 1972. And I feel he was ably supported by Chris Lowe's art direction team, John Bush's set decorations and Colleen Atwood's beautiful costume designs. 

Although I was somewhat critical of Grahame-Seth's screenplay, I do not believe it was not a complete waste. In fact, I thought it was wise of him to center the main narrative around Barnabas Collins. The latter's attempts to assimilate into the early 1970s had me shaking with laughter. And Grahame-Seth was wise to not only enrich Barnabas' love for Josette du Pres and later, Victoria Winters; but also his concerns for his family. Family seemed to be very important to Barnabas, which allowed Grahame-Seth to focus more on Victoria and the Collins family . . . even Roger. Barnabas' concerns for his family also made his conflict with Angelique Bouchard even more pressing. I am also glad that both Burton and Grahame-Seth's portrayal of Barnabas was complex. They allowed him to feed on other human beings without labeling him as evil. Barnabas feeds on the blood of others to survive, just as we humans feed on other living beings - both animals and plants. He does not like feeding on others anymore than he likes being a vampire. There is no taint of one-dimensional morality that has marred television series like "BUFFY, THE VAMPIRE SLAYER""ANGEL" and "CHARMED". Several critics and many of the old television series also criticized Burton's film for not being a close adaptation of the show. I find their criticisms a little irrelevant, due to the fact that I have yet to see a film adaptation of a television series to be that particularly close to its original source.

The cast for "DARK SHADOWS" is first-rate. Even those performers forced into roles that were not fully explored did a great job. It was nice to see Burton's willingness to use again, actor Christopher Lee, who had a brief appearance as the top fisherman of Collinsport, Maine. I have never seen Jonny Lee Miller portrayed such a negative role like Roger Collins. And despite the minimal exposure, he did a great job of expressing Roger's shallowness and lack of concern for his son and other members of the family. Helena Bonham-Carter was hilariously entertaining as young David Collins' live-in psychiatrist, who developed a crush on Barnabas. It wsa nice to see Jackie Earle Haley again, who was also rather funny as the Collins family's caretaker, Willie Loomis. I wish I could say something nice about Bella Heathcote. But her performance as Victoria Winters struck me as a little too ethereal and . . . wooden. Gulliver McGrath gave a sweet performance as young David Collins, but he did not strike me as particularly memorable.

For me, the best performances came from lead actor Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfieffer, Eva Green and ChloĆ« Grace Moretz. The latter has certainly grown a lot since I first saw her in "KICK ASS", six years ago. I found her take on the fifteen year-old Carolyn Stoddard to be very eccentric (in a positive way). She also seemed to be a younger version of Michelle Pfieffer, who portrayed her imperious mother, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard. I thought that Pfieffer was spot on as the indomitable matriarch of the Collins family, who hid her ruthlessly passionate and maternal nature behind a reserved facade. Eva Green nearly scared me out of my wits with her frightening portrayal of Angelique Bouchard, the witch who developed an obsessive love for Barnabas. Apparently, Angelique's love and hatred proved to be so strong that she continued to slowly destroy the Collins family, long after Barnabas was locked in a coffin. Johnny Depp has portrayed some memorable characters over the years. But I must admit that his take on the Barnabas Collins character has proven to be one of my favorites. The man was superb. I could describe his performance with as many adjectives as possible. But it would take a great deal of my time. All I can say is that I believe he was perfect.

I realize that "DARK SHADOWS" had disappointed many fans of the old 1966-71 television series. And I must admit that I found a few aspects of Seth Grahame-Smith's screenplay rather questionable. But "DARK SHADOWS" proved to be an entertaining movie thanks to Tim Burton's direction, the story's concentration on the Barnabas Collins, Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography and the excellent cast led by the always talented Johnny Depp.

No comments:

Post a Comment